Friday 28 May 2010

Verona and Lake Garda 2008

There's a new film being advertised called Letters to Juliet about an American girl who visits Verona - Amanda Seyfried is in it and needless to say it looks rubbish. Despite that I will almost certainly watch it at some point because it’s set in a city I've been to and I feel inexplicably excited (& a bit famous) whenever I see somewhere or someone I know on television.
I went to Italy on holiday with Rachael in July 2008 and stayed in Lido di Jesolo, a beach resort near Venice. As well as visiting the islands of Venice, Burano & Murano we went on a day drip to Verona and Lake Garda.

The main attraction in Verona is the Casa di Giulietta, complete with balcony. On the way into the square the alley walls are absolutely jam-packed full with the graffiti of couples names, love hearts and poems.


The balcony itself was built in the 20th century but tourists flock there as the focal point of the city’s association with the story (our guide pointed out a grand house in the hills outside of the city, which was apparently the home of the real life inspiration for Juliet).
We were there in high season so it was heaving with other tourists and there was a play going on with Romeo and Juliet chasing each other round the courtyard and appearing at the balcony.


There’s a bronze statue of Juliet that has a very shiny right boob because if you rub it apparently you’ll be lucky in love. It’s a myth I tell you!

The rest of the city is much calmer and really beautiful, there’s a coliseum and plenty of historical buildings, as well as a bustling market and secret winding side streets with panino & gelato shops. The city sits on the shore of the Adige river and the Ponte Pietra was a great place to catch a breeze and take some photos.



We ended the day in Limone and had a paddle in Lake Garda.


Whilst I’m glad I’ve been to Venice and the surrounding islands I doubt I’ll ever go again, however I’d love to be able to visit Verona and the Italian lakes twice a year, every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment