Friday 16 July 2010

Annie Leibovitz

The National Portrait Gallery had an Annie Leibovitz retrospective last year and Naomi & I spent a few hours having a good look around.
I was expecting a lot of glossy celebrity photos (and that would have been fine by me) but I was surprised to find that amongst the magazine cover shots there were some very tender portraits of family members, as well as a moving series of photos chronicling her long term partner Susan Sontag’s battle with terminal cancer.



The two photos that I found most compelling were those that bridged the gap between celebrity glamour & intimacy – a shot of Kate Moss and Jonny Depp taken just at the time when they were in the middle of their very public engagement, and a photo of John Lennon & Yoko Ono, taken only hours before he was killed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love the photograph taken of Johnny Depp and Kate Moss. It is amazing - and after I saw the pictures I was searching the internet for Annie Leibovitz! Wow, her photographs are really really extraordinary and amazingly great... :)

    ReplyDelete